Built in 1830 as one half of a pair of semi-detached villas, the house had undergone much alteration including a hotch-potch of rear extensions. It was unlisted [but within a conservation area] and had been owned by the same family for more than 30 years.
We were asked to undertake comprehensive reorganisation and further extension to accommodate returning younger members of the family. A close working relationship was developed with them to ensure that their varied requirements were met.
Existing rear additions were replaced by a full width extension across the basement with a terrace above: the basement was opened up as the family’s main living, kitchen and dining areas and a new second floor mansard storey was added to provide extra bedrooms and bathrooms.
The basement and second floors were treated as modern interventions, whilst the original ground and first floors were restored to their former elegance. A striking cantilevered open tread oak staircase connects the ground floor and basement.