Gledhow communal garden is part of the former Gunter Estate developed in the early nineteenth century. Apart from one short stretch providing alternative access, it is enclosed by residential terraces on three sides: the fourth side is open to the street. The original cast iron railings and gates to the Garden were removed in WW2 and replaced with utilitarian fencing of concrete posts and wire mesh.
Like others in Kensington & Chelsea the communal garden falls under the 1851 Kensington Improvement Act. It is administered through an elected Garden Committee responsible for spending garden rates collected by the Council.
We were appointed by the Garden Committee in December 2002 to reinstate the railings and gates on the street frontages, having previously completed similar schemes in neighbouring Bina and Bolton Gardens as well as others further afield.
Conservation Area and Listed Building consents were granted in September 2003 after extensive discussion with the Garden Committee and the Council’s Conservation Officer.
The design of the railings and gates is based on surviving sections of original railings and is a version of a type found all over the Gunter Estate with an interesting cast iron base and elaborate posts and finials. A fall in level is accommodated by the insertion of a rendered brick pillar matching others in the neighbourhood. A pair of double gates with a new pavement crossover has been introduced to afford vehicular access.
The Contractor was appointed in September 2003 following tendering: the works reached Practical Completion in June 2004 and were then extended to include new forecourt gates for individual residents in Gledhow Gardens.
The project was generously supported by the Gunter Estate and received a grant from the Council. Gift Aid payments were channelled through Heritage of London Trust.