Bolton Gardens is part of the old Gunter Estate developed in the early nineteenth century. Residential terraces open directly onto the Garden on two sides: the other two sides are bounded by Old Brompton Road and Collingham Road. The Garden Committee operates under the 1851 Kensington Improvement Act with powers to set a rate precept, levied by the Council to meet the cost of running the Garden. The original cast iron railings and gates on the street frontages were removed in 1940 and replaced by an increasingly decrepit wire mesh fence.
We were appointed to reinstate the railings along the two street frontages in March 1997 following an offer of generous support from the Trustees of the Gunter Estate and the possibility of grant aid from the Council.
Conservation Area and Listed Building consents were required before the scheme could be considered for grant aid and we liaised with Council officers from an early stage to discuss matters of design and grant aid.
The new railings match remaining original examples in the neighbouring terrace on Old Brompton Road but are considerably taller to provide increased security. The design, found all over the Gunter Estate, is interesting in having a cast metal base instead of the more usual stone. This presents problems of design and construction which we had been able to solve when working with the same contractor on the neighbouring Bina Gardens. The original railings had been wholly cast iron but, in the interests of economy, mild steel was substituted for the upright rails.
Throughout the project we worked closely with the Chairman of the Garden Committee and other members of the committee and they attended our regular site meetings with the Contractor.